Monday, April 13, 2020

Nailed It!

     I love the Netflix show Nailed It.

I always get a good laugh when I'm watching. One of my friends posted a Nailed It challenge. Of course, I was in! The rules were simple. Try to duplicate the cake in the picture.  Don't go out and buy any special equipment - use only what you already have in your house. You can buy ingredients like eggs or sugar, just no crazy cake decorating equipment.


     I looked at the picture and thought, that's not too hard to do.  I didn't have a small cake pan, so I used a saucepan to bake my cake.  I put some parchment paper so it would not stick. It didn't stick, but the paper fell in on itself a bit, so my cake's shape wasn't as cylindrical as I wanted.

    I found some candy eyes in my pantry. I have no idea how old they are! They are just sugar, and there was no expiration date, so I thought that it was safe to use them.

     The cupcake wasn't too bad to make. I used a zip lock back for a pastry bag. I think his eyes look cute!

     So here is my finished project.  How did I do? It's not perfect for sure. The white icing could be a bit smoother.  The important thing is that I tried my best. It also tasted pretty good.

   My challenge to my students is try something new that you've never done, but always wanted to do. Even if it's not perfect, it is still worth attempting that hard thing.  Then you can say "NAILED IT!"